This week something unusual happened: a video of the first Nintendo Switch unboxing started making the rounds on the internet, from the hands of NeoGAF user hiphoptherobot; yet the console is weeks due to launch. This was certainly no fake console or video, as we saw everything from the Nintendo-sealed box to the system settings and hardware.
After just hours of mystery, Nintendo has revealed the console is, in fact, part of a group of them stolen from a US retailer. As of this writing, the identified perpetrators are currently held by local law enforcement groups. In a statement for IGN, a Nintendo representative told us:
“Earlier this week, individuals claimed to prematurely purchase a small number of Nintendo Switch systems from an unspecified retailer. Nintendo has determined these units were stolen in an isolated incident by employees of a U.S. distributor, with one system being illegally resold.
The involved individuals have been identified, terminated from their place of employment, and are under investigation by local law enforcement authorities on criminal charges.”
“Nintendo Switch will launch worldwide on March 3, 2017, and we look forward to everyone being able to discover the wonders of the new system for themselves at that time.”
We should note, they said nothing about the lost consoles themselves, so they are presumably lost (though it’s not like the people responsible can do anything with those until March 3 and the first game batch launches).
Aside from what we can see in the video, we now know digitally purchased games will be linked to your Nintendo Switch account rather than to the hardware itself, and that the Switch will support up to 10 players on local multiplayer, which are splendid news all around.
The Nintendo Switch is right around the corner and will cost 300 USD.